Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Capturing Brittany Wins in Grand Rapids AQS Show!

I'm very excited to announce that my piece, Capturing Brittany, just won Best Machine Workmanship in the AQS Show in Grand Rapids yesterday!  How exciting to win a great prize like this for a technical skill and design.  I have worked for many many years to improve my stitching and I guess it is ok now.  I have a new machine I have been using for the past three years, Janome 7700.  It is a fabulous machine that has been very user friendly especially for the work that I do.  I have gone through many high end machines and had lots of problems with tension and thread breakage.  This machine doesn't care what I use in it which is lots of different top threads and ONLY mono-filament in the bobbin.  I have tried lots of different mono-filament threads over the years and my favorite one is CHEAP!  The cheaper the better.  They all work pretty much the same.  They don't melt as some have suggested and are very great for not showing up on the top of your quilt.  You can fill the bobbin three times more full than with regular thread so you don't have to change it as often. 


 
Here is a detail shot of a student who was sketching in the village the day we visited with her art class.  I loved the architecture of this northern France village called Dinan.  I used several Stonehenge prints by Northcott in this design.  I love the variation of texture of these prints.  Also you will see a very tiny amount of fabric paint I always use to add the fine detail to my pieces  like the shadows behind her legs and arm, shoe details, shading around the windows.  I use my opaque fabric paints for this because they cover up the fabric and allow for blending of different fabrics together.  You can see more about them on the Tools Page of this blog.  Also you can learn to make your own art quilts like I do on my Fusing/Fabric Painting to Create an Art Quilt CD-ROM on my website at this link.  Thanks to everyone for your nice comments on my win on my Facebook page!! 

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! It looks like a picture. I can hardly believe this is made by someone. OUTSTANDING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Lenore - I found you!!! Congratulations on your recent win...go girl - so well deserved! It was great to meet you in New Zealand and I hope our paths cross again one day. I will treasure our special French dinner together too! Hugs from me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele. We had a great time in New Zealand. I see they just had more earthquakes there overnight. So great to meet you and have a glass of wine together. Hope we get to do it again sometime!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations - the win was well deserved. This is such a great piece! Aren't the Stonehenge prints great? I love them for art quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It is a beautiful quilt!


    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely amazing! So inspiring, yet intimidating at the same time! How long does it take you to do something like this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just wow. I am gobsmacked. I thought it was a photo of a street at first. You are so clever....and patient to do this amazing piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone for your nice comments! It takes a few months to create a piece like this. I don't know what I would do without the Northcott prints!! I sent emails to them with pictures of my work because I wanted to make sure they didn't discontinue them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helemaal terecht, want het blijft een super quilt! gefeliciteerd!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Lenore! If you don't mind I would like to publish Russian translation about your artwork in my blog. Please6 let me know! Natalie

    ReplyDelete