Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

My Attic Studio and Design Walls

The SAQA email list is currently talking about design walls in an unconventional space such as an attic.  Well, I can totally relate to that topic!  My studio is in our redesigned attic space we finished a few years ago.  We had 800 or more sq. ft. of open rafters and my brother came and spent a few months finishing it and creating a beautiful work space for me and another lounge area to escape to when the kids were all home.  I love my studio and have some peg board movable walls we had once designed for an outside art fair that I design my art quilts on.  Here are a few pictures. 

Design wall
The design wall is about 72" wide by 83" high and covered with cotton batting I stapled to it.  The wall is made out of pegboard so it's not heavy.  It also has feet perpendicular to the wall to make it free standing and stable.
Feet for free standing
My husband created this wall.  It is away from the back wall a few feet behind which I have shelving units for fabric.  Our space is very pitched and only has the two end walls for shelving units. 

 
My design table is a large particle board with a base I painted white and drew six inch squares on it in permanent marker.  The design wall is covered in cotton batting which allows fabric to cling to it or as in the case shown pinned to it.  I have my ironing board next to my design table where I work and I fuse directly to the design wall.  This year after many years of working up here we added to fluorescent light fixtures directly over the design table as you can see in the top photo with daylight bulbs.  For the first few weeks everytime I came up the stairs I thought it was super sunny outside!  We have a skylight directly over the table too, the only one in the attic.  I only wish I had more flat walls but I haven't found a space I would like better to work in that this one!  At the other end of the space we have the lounge area.
Lounge area

This is our other area to relax in besides our family room.  We have the heat pump/air conditioner which was a necessity since the furnace doesn't reach up here.  It keeps my space cool in summer and plenty warm for an always hot woman in the winter.  I just had my wall painted lime which I love and goes with my art work.  My work is limited in size to my design wall size which is perfect for me.  The largest piece I created was about 65" high by about 55" wide.  My triptych I created last winter was three pieces that I sewed together to make the finished size 8.5 feet long by 45" high.  I don't think I will ever make anything bigger than that! 
Le Poet Laval, Three Paths



Monday, December 17, 2012

Calendar of My Work

I have a new product available now!  My work is featured on my own calendar for 2013.  It has my favorite pieces I have created over the past few years including Port of Cassis, winner of 2011 Best Wall Quilt, AQS, Paducah, which now resides in the National Quilt Museum there.  Also there is Pont en Royan II, Colors of Winter, Cote d'Azur and many more.  It is available on my Tools page of this blog!  Only $10.00 plus shipping of $1.50. 

Cote d'Azur, 2001
Colors of Winter, 2010
 

Afternoon Delight, 2010
Just a few of the pieces in my calendar.  They came out very nice and make great gifts especially for yourself. 

Friday, December 14, 2012

Stack N Whack Fun

Recently I finished putting together the pieces of my Stack N Whack project I began in April.  When I was teaching in Napa a friend who teaches the technique helped me choose fabrics using an angle mirror.  I chose a bold print by Jane Sassaman and another print with chickens on it I thought went well together.  Here are my choices.


 

I thought the chicken print would go be more of a quiet space between my larger print.  So I cut out the triangles and started to construct the design.  It was fun to try the six triangles in different orientations giving completely different looks.  I designed it on my design wall and filled in space here and there with the chicken print.  Then I decided to try some fabric with practically no strong print on it, some Kaffe Fassett fabrics, that were red/orange and lime.  I mixed three of each with three of the chicken print triangles getting a pattern. 
 


 
Here are some of the finished hexagons.  If you want to learn more about this technique, you can find information on the Internet.  Try to find the chickens in the print.  The bird in the Jane Sassaman print was chopped up into the blue sections and disappeared on reconstruction.  Such an interesting design.  It was quite simple to sew together considering how complex it looks!  Below is the finished design I have to top-stitch still.  I think it is really fun!  Try it sometime!