Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

My Attic Studio and Design Walls

The SAQA email list is currently talking about design walls in an unconventional space such as an attic.  Well, I can totally relate to that topic!  My studio is in our redesigned attic space we finished a few years ago.  We had 800 or more sq. ft. of open rafters and my brother came and spent a few months finishing it and creating a beautiful work space for me and another lounge area to escape to when the kids were all home.  I love my studio and have some peg board movable walls we had once designed for an outside art fair that I design my art quilts on.  Here are a few pictures. 

Design wall
The design wall is about 72" wide by 83" high and covered with cotton batting I stapled to it.  The wall is made out of pegboard so it's not heavy.  It also has feet perpendicular to the wall to make it free standing and stable.
Feet for free standing
My husband created this wall.  It is away from the back wall a few feet behind which I have shelving units for fabric.  Our space is very pitched and only has the two end walls for shelving units. 

 
My design table is a large particle board with a base I painted white and drew six inch squares on it in permanent marker.  The design wall is covered in cotton batting which allows fabric to cling to it or as in the case shown pinned to it.  I have my ironing board next to my design table where I work and I fuse directly to the design wall.  This year after many years of working up here we added to fluorescent light fixtures directly over the design table as you can see in the top photo with daylight bulbs.  For the first few weeks everytime I came up the stairs I thought it was super sunny outside!  We have a skylight directly over the table too, the only one in the attic.  I only wish I had more flat walls but I haven't found a space I would like better to work in that this one!  At the other end of the space we have the lounge area.
Lounge area

This is our other area to relax in besides our family room.  We have the heat pump/air conditioner which was a necessity since the furnace doesn't reach up here.  It keeps my space cool in summer and plenty warm for an always hot woman in the winter.  I just had my wall painted lime which I love and goes with my art work.  My work is limited in size to my design wall size which is perfect for me.  The largest piece I created was about 65" high by about 55" wide.  My triptych I created last winter was three pieces that I sewed together to make the finished size 8.5 feet long by 45" high.  I don't think I will ever make anything bigger than that! 
Le Poet Laval, Three Paths



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful creative use of space! I used to have knee walls in my former house and just pushed foam insulation board against these for a 'wall'. Storage behind.
    And your work is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lenore, What a wonderful space to create your gorgeous art work in. Love the shape of your studio as it looks so cozy and a true getaway. I am originally from Dearborn, so I am familiar with this style of attic.
    Thanks for sharing your inspiration. Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you took advantage of every possible space! It absolutely reflects the creative space every studio should be. Excellent work on the walls and the skylights! I would only suggest that you add some cover for the skylights. Being in the attic makes you closer to the ceiling, and having too much natural light might cause discomfort. I’m sure you’d be able to come up with one that’s as crafty as everything there. :* -->Mariam

    ReplyDelete
  4. You utilized every space in the attic, so little work area is not really an issue. Your lounge area screams creativity! Painting the wall green serves as an accent piece of the whole, so the whole room lightens up and looks fresh! Chantay Smithingell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brother did a great job in transforming your attic into a studio! Also, that skylight created an illusion of space that you can certainly play with to bring different moods into the room. By the way, your triptych looks so alive! Good job, Lenore!

    -Joanne Barragan

    ReplyDelete